« Home | Next: Bush and Bubba Give their Two Cents' Worth »
| Next: Evacuate THIS! »
| Next: New Orleans in Chaos »
| Next: Stop talking, get 'em out »
| Next: Pat Robertson Jihad Update »
| Next: Pat Robertson calls for Jihad against Chavez »
| Next: Tail that Mocks the Blog »
| Next: Vioxx gets it up the wazoo! »
| Next: Cindy Sheehan's "Absolute Moral Authority" »
| Next: Bush in the Bubble »


Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Katrina, Disaster, Aid, Relief, Celebs, HUMBUG!

Where Are The REAL Heroes?

I'm a hopeless cynic. Especially when it comes to politics and celebrities.

Been around long enough to know that not everything that meets the eye is what it seems.

So I would like to discuss a phenomenon that really disturbs me, and throw it out to all you good folk who are much smarter than I.

I was reading a news story about Clinton slamming the government over the (mis)handling of Katrina, and it got me to thinking.

Question: Have you ever noticed the opportunists who suddenly show up whenever there is a movie, a book, or a song to promote, or in this case when disaster strikes? And have you ever asked yourself why? (Rhetorical question). Otherwise you never see them.

Take Katrina for example. My earlier post noted that Bubba Bill Clinton and George Dubya Bush Senior always seem to show up whenever tragedy strikes. Like ambulance-chasing lawyers looking for a gruesome accident to pass out business cards.

Here they come. The dynamic duo to the rescue. Like marvel superheroes with grinning, air-brushed faces, showing off their new pearly white dentures and pepsodent smiles, all bought and paid for by the good tax payers of this great land.

Ok, so I admit on the face of it, it looks very noble and good. Those good ole boys lending their mugs to help the poor and unfortunate. Right?

Well, remember when I said not all is what it seems? I recall an interview with Clinton on CNN when he and Bush were off to visit victims of the Asian Tsunami.

At the end of the interview good ole Bill accidentally blurted "well I got to go down there to promote my book anyway". Now that may not be a exact quote, but is basically what he said. Seriously! I kid you not.


So I asked myself who is really benefitting here? Is it the disaster victims, or is it the publicity-hound celebs? Or both? You tell me.

Are we to believe that nobody will donate to Katrina unless the celebs show up? I mean, really?

Well I for one don't believe it. So let me ask another question. Are you moved to give to their charity rather than one of the other registered charities out there?

Or let me put it this way. If they didn't have their own charity, would you be inclined to give less for the Katrina victims? Personally I don't believe it. But then again I'm not that superficial.

Perhaps it is because America needs its heros, and there are more than enough egomaniacs vying for the job. Take Live 8 as another example. Rather than repeat myself, I will let my previous post speak for itself.

Mark my words. It won't be long before you will be watching State Farm Insurance ads bragging on the toob how they rebuilt New Orleans. What they won't tell you however is all the bodies they screwed over. But that will be another story, or a law suit (or both).

And now it seems even the blogosphere is not immune to opportunism. Blogger poster boy Glenn Reynolds (Instapundit) got himself a free plug from CNN.

"So far, this has raised about... $360,000 from InstaPundit readers."

Your efforts are duly noted Glenn, but why not just recommend that your readers give anonymously to a registered charity without all the self-promoting fanfare? Oh yeah, I forgot. There's no publicity in that is there?

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not against sincere folk who want to help. I'm all for that. It's just that some people have no shame, and will exploit any situation for personal gain.

Ok, there may be a place for celebs helping causes, but it's the hypocrisy that really gets my craw. The next time you see your favorite politician, actress or rapper doing a photo-op for a disaster scene, ask yourself what is their real motive?

The end doesn't necessarily justify the means, and I for one will not help self-serving parasites get free publicity on the backs of suffering people.

No sireee, not me. My money is going elsewhere. Then again, maybe I'm just an overly sensitive cynic.
```
UPDATE: I just watched do-gooder Lisa Marie Presley on Oprah showing us how concerned she is for the flood victims. Now if memory serves correctly, didn't she just release an album recently? But there I go being cynical again.

HEY OPRAH! Girl... show me the nobodys out there who are doing the real hero work. At least with 9/11 we had the firefighters and police to look up to. Not has-been celebs whose only claim to fame is being the daughter of Elvis and marrying whacko Jacko. Or at least make it worth our while and show us a real celebrity.

Click here to listen to this Podcast This inspiring podcast brought to you by the Fisk @ 10:26 PM

Español | Deutsche | Français | Italiano | Português | Chinese | Korean | Japanese

Technorati Watchlist - Favorites - Explore - Other blog comments
Bookmarks add to del.icio.us add to Furl digg it add to Reddit add to YahooMyWeb add to Fark add to blinklist SlashDot this Add to Simpy Seed this at Newsvine Add to Spurl


5 Comments: 'Reach out and FISK someone'...

At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've noticed that myself.

Great blog!

 Edit Comment
At 8:35 AM, Anonymous lonestar said...

That's right. A tragedy happens and watch all the narcissistic parasites come out of the wood work.

Love the blog. Keep up the great work!

 Edit Comment
At 9:08 AM, Anonymous sam said...

Yeah, I'm fed up with these self-serving jokers as well.

If you want to help, do it quietly and anonymously, or not at all.

 Edit Comment
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous congenial said...

Yeah, after awhile these jokers start to believe in their own press.

Instapundit Inc. Has a nice ring to it.

Very sad.

 Edit Comment
At 9:53 AM, Anonymous john said...

Well said. You nailed it bro.

I want to see stories about the REAL heroes.

Bloody opportunists have no shame.

Terrific blog. Keep it up!

 Edit Comment

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

If you enjoyed this post why not leave a comment, bookmark it or subscribe to our free newsletter?

More @ the daily FISK!...

Even More fun and frivolity...

Home
Bush and Bubba Give their Two Cents' Worth

Evacuate THIS!

New Orleans in Chaos

Stop talking, get 'em out

Pat Robertson Jihad Update

Pat Robertson calls for Jihad against Chavez

Tail that Mocks the Blog

Vioxx gets it up the wazoo!

Cindy Sheehan's "Absolute Moral Authority"

Bush in the Bubble

<< Thanks for dropping by! >>