« Home | Next: links for 2006-03-28 This Week's Idiot Award Th... »
| Next: This Week's Idiot Award »
| Next: Sorry you haven't heard from me lately »
| Next: Is Blogging Just About Getting More Traffic? »
| Next: Improved RSS Newsfeeds »
| Next: You SUCK! Becoming an A-List Blogger »
| Next: Be an A-List Blogger: So Kiss my royal... »
| Next: Blog for Success: Just Suck Up »
| Next: Yahoo bans Allah, but Mohammad is OK »
| Next: FARK's Fatwah »


Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Ten Observations of a Rookie Blogger

Whilst perusing Dave Winer's blog I accidentally came across Guy Kawasaki's ten observations that he's learned in his first 100 days of blogging.

The ones that are the most revealing are:

Guy Kawasaki, blogger extraordinaire 1. "The more popular a person thinks he is in the blogosphere, the thinner his skin and the thicker his hypocrisy. This should be exactly the opposite: the higher you go the thicker the skin and thinner the hypocrisy." Only happy to oblige Guy. We'll test that theory shall we.

5. "An expert who blogs is more interesting than a blogger who experts". What I'm not certain of is whether Guy is talking about himself. Would a hundred days of blogging count towards becoming an "expert"? (NOT).

6. "Blogging technology is a piece of cake. TypePad powers my blog, and this product is very well done. Plus, almost all the things that one would want a blog to do are (a) available and (b) free--or very cheap"... Hmm, what Guy doesn't seem to realize is most of us seasoned bloggers didn't have it served to us on a silver platter. We had to learn (and sometimes create like Dave Winer for example) the technology and hack our blogs into shape the hard way.

9. "I love this Technorati ranking thing. I know it probably doesn't mean much, but it's fun. I'll never play in the NHL, and I'll never start a billion-dollar company, but I could get into the Technorati top ten"... That's all we need. A class system in the blogosphere. I can see the headlines now: "Former writer rises to the creme of the blogosphere riding his own shirt tail."

And my most favorite of all:

3. ... "It's a good thing I have eight books to plagiarize." That sez it all don't you think? Nothing new here.

And lastly:

10. "It's hard to make money blogging. The advertising revenues don't add up to much, but there are other significant rewards like helping people change the world." Heh, don't flatter yourself Guy. But thanks for the laughs anyway. You provide us with so much material. It's much appreciated and welcome to the blogosphere. We're looking forward to the next 100 days. Seriously.

Related links: writing, write, guy kawasaki, satire, humor, blogging
Click here to listen to this Podcast This inspiring podcast brought to you by the Fisk @ 9:39 PM

Español | Deutsche | Français | Italiano | Português | Chinese | Korean | Japanese

Technorati Watchlist - Favorites - Explore - Other blog comments
Bookmarks add to del.icio.us add to Furl digg it add to Reddit add to YahooMyWeb add to Fark add to blinklist SlashDot this Add to Simpy Seed this at Newsvine Add to Spurl


4 Comments: 'Reach out and FISK someone'...

At 8:37 AM, Anonymous George Girton said...

Eight books, that's eight more than I have. Dang! I can't plagiarize my own books. But wait! There's still my mind! That's what I'll do, I'll just write stuff!

 Edit Comment
At 11:40 AM, Blogger FISK! said...

Heh, finally someone else who also get's it.

Cheers!

 Edit Comment
At 3:32 AM, Blogger vergelimbo said...

Fisk!
You kicked that Weiner... I mean Whiner, certainly not winner..to the curb!
[The Centennial Bloguru]

Good to see you are writing again.
I think I should pay closer attention to your hints on drawing more traffic to my site. What is your top 5 "must do's" for increasing traffic. I'm still only averaging about 50/day.

VL

PS: Check out the trailer for "an Inconvenient Truth" at vergelimbo.com

 Edit Comment
At 4:08 AM, Blogger FISK! said...

Just write more often would be my number one choice. Preferably every day. Then again maybe I should take my own advice. Take a look here.

 Edit Comment

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

If you enjoyed this post why not leave a comment, bookmark it or subscribe to our free newsletter?

More @ the daily FISK!...

Even More fun and frivolity...

Home
links for 2006-03-28 This Week's Idiot Award Th...

This Week's Idiot Award

Sorry you haven't heard from me lately

Is Blogging Just About Getting More Traffic?

Improved RSS Newsfeeds

You SUCK! Becoming an A-List Blogger

Be an A-List Blogger: So Kiss my royal...

Blog for Success: Just Suck Up

Yahoo bans Allah, but Mohammad is OK

FARK's Fatwah

<< Thanks for dropping by! >>